What Life Coaching is and how it works
Life coaching is profoundly different from consulting, mentoring, advice giving or counselling.
Coaching addresses personal projects like change and transitions in a person’s life- coaching aims to empower you the client. It does this by examining what is going on in your life right now, discovering what your obstacles or challenges might be and by choosing a course of action to make your life be what you want it to be.
The skills of a coach are knowing the right questions to ask and having the right tools and techniques to empower you to find the answers within yourself. The coaching relationship is one where the power and decision making is all in your hands. It is not easy to make major life changes and when they do come about the client is often filled with an enormous feeling of achievement and satisfaction.
What can life coaching help with?
Coaching can help in all aspects of life- whether your goal is to change career, start a family, start a business or increase your confidence and self esteem. The list can go on but what it boils down to is, if you have a goal or a dream, some might say a bucket list, then coaching can help you achieve it. Some of the most common reasons people seek the help of a coach are.
- Personal life: both men and women come to a point in their lives where they realise they are not 100% happy with what they have, be it their chosen career or their lifestyle even their partner. There is a point where people start to feel the in-balance between the path they are on and the path they want to be on. This can be very distressing and can lead to often misguided and un- thought through reactions. Coaching is perfect for helping people to realise what it is exactly the need to change in order to set themselves on the path they want to be on.
- Starting a Business : Starting a business is tough and Coaching can help with confidence, leadership, decision making and getting you focused on what you need to do in order to get things going.
- Work life: Many people do not have a healthy work/life balance, they focus on one or the other too much and because of that other aspects of their lives begin to show strain. Coaching helps re address that balance and reduce the stress caused working too much or not enough. Well just because a coach doesn’t describe themselves as an expert in one area doesn’t mean they can successfully coach in that area, in reality they probably can.As a precaution, it is a good idea to check out a coaches accreditation and insurance, ask if they are registered with a governing body and do they hold insurance. A repeatable coach should always have both.
- Coaches are mostly highly trained and can provide support in most areas. The important thing when looking for a coach is to pick one that you feel you can build a coaching relationship with. Most good coaches offer a free introductory session for this very reason, they want to speak with you first and get an understanding of what it is you need help with. Don’t be afraid to contact a coach and have a conversation with them, you may be surprised that the coach who is an expert in marriage planning can also help you with your career choices.
- Coaching sessions are typically between 45 and 60 minutes long depending on what is being discussed in the session. Sessions can be conducted over the phone, face to face and by email. In-between sessions and sometimes during s session you will be asked to complete some thought provoking mental exercises. You coach will ask you questions about what you want to get out of out of life, what you would like to change and where do you see yourself in the future. Your coach will then guide you to make the changes you feel you need to make. But the emphasis is on you to move your life forward, a coach will not and can not make you do anything you are not willing to do, a coach will challenge you and encourage you out of your comfort zone but you will never be forced to make any decisions you are not comfortable with. The sessions with your coach will be confidential and this will allow you to explore your thoughts and feelings freely and safely.
Unsure if this is the right answer for your current situation?
Contact us now for a free and friendly first consultation.